Sunday, March 15, 2009

How to Make Yogurt at Home

Yogurt, also known as curd, is an essential ingredient in many cuisines. It is used in curry recipes to make the meats tender. It is also used to make various sweet and spicy beverages like Lassi and Borhani as a part of Indian and Bangladeshi cuisine. A popular Greek appetizer known as Tzatziki is made with yogurt as well.

According to Wikipedia, those who are lactose intolerant can easily enjoy yoghurt without any side effects. This is because the lactose in milk is converted into lactic acid in yoghurt. It is also beneficial for those suffering from Diarrhea.

If yogurt is unavailable at home, then you may try this quick and easy process to make it yourself without any rare ingredients or special equipments. You will need Milk and Lime or Vinegar or Golden Prune (Aloo Bukhara).

Boil a cup of milk and add either about 1 to 2 tea spoons of Lime juice or Vinegar or a couple of Golden Prunes. Let it cool and within a few minutes yogurt will form and deposit. Drain the remaining liquid. Vary the amount of milk and vinegar according to your desired quantity of yogurt.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you it was a fantastic support, now to make yogurt at home is definitely simple by using your guidance. Kudos

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am an undergraduate student majoring in Biochemistry and Biotechnology and minoring in Art. In my pastime, I love to read books and listen to music or watch movies. When I see something interesting, I like to capture the moment in my camera. Cooking is stress relieving for me and I enjoy experimenting new dishes all the time. Currently, I am away from my family so I cook for myself almost everyday, which gives me lots of opportunities to try new ideas.