Sunday, March 15, 2009

Quick Khichdi Recipe

This is the fastest and easiest recipe for delicious Khichdi. It requires very little ingredients, just the regular spices found in almost any Indian kitchen. It is effortless to prepare too!

Serves: 3

Ingredients:

1 cup basmati rice
1/4 cup masoor dal (red lintils)
1 tsp garam masala powder (Indian spice blend)
1 tsp salt or to taste
A small pinch of turmeric powder
2 tablespoon vegetable/cooking oil
2 cups hot water
1 medium onion evenly sliced and fried till golden yellow for garnishing.

Preparation:

Combine the rice and dal together and wash till the water clears. Drain water and keep aside.

Heat oil in a medium pan. Add garam masala powder, turmeric and salt. Make sure the spices don’t burn by reducing the heat a little. Add the prewashed rice and dal mixture to the pan and fry for about 6-7 minutes.

Turn off the heat and pour the mixture on to a microwave safe bowl. Add 2 cups of hot water and cover it. Microwave the dish on high heat for 8 mins. Then reduce the power to 30 % and microwave for an additional 5 mins.

Let it stand for at least 5 mins or till you are ready to serve. Garnish with golden-fried onions and serve hot with beef, mutton or chicken curry, or fried fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am an undergraduate student majoring in Biochemistry and Biotechnology and minoring in Art. In my pastime, I love to read books and listen to music or watch movies. When I see something interesting, I like to capture the moment in my camera. Cooking is stress relieving for me and I enjoy experimenting new dishes all the time. Currently, I am away from my family so I cook for myself almost everyday, which gives me lots of opportunities to try new ideas.